Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Monday, April 27 - Friday, May 1b

Friday
I was away again for day two of the workshop. Here are my notes:
  Silent reading for first 10-15 minutes
  Complete any work from Thursday that wasn’t done? Here it is in italics
1.     Using NetBooks students should go to this website:
They should complete all the readings and activities related to elements of the short story.
2.     Next, have them view this video on YouTube about embedding quotes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNSDZeSl_Yc
3.     After the embed quotes video, they should do the written exercises on how to embed quotes.

• Hand-out the short story terms and devices. Students can go to the class blog, then to Quizlet to study the terms. If they would rather find their own way of reviewing the terms on-line, there are YouTube videos and many other resources they can find by doing a search for “short story elements.”
• Students should also go online to: https://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/exams/search/
and have a look at an e-exam.

• Work on synthesis piece about Holding Harley and Who I’m Not – draft is due on Tuesday of next week.


Thursday
I was away today at a workshop. Here are the notes I left for the TOC:

I was at a district workshop today. Here is are the notes I left for the TOC.
1.     Silent reading for first 10-15 minutes
2.     Using NetBooks students should go to this website:
They should complete all the readings and activities related to elements of the short story.
3.     Next, have them view this video on YouTube about embedding quotes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNSDZeSl_Yc
4.     After the embed quotes video, they should do the written exercises on how to embed quotes.

5.     For the remainder of the class, students could begin working on the synthesis piece they have to write about the two short stories “Holding Harley” and “Who I’m Not”.


Wednesday

To begin the class we did a quiz on the editing errors I found in the novel autographs. I put the presentations on hold until next week - sorry! I am away tomorrow and Friday, so I wanted to get everyone set up to work on the synthesis piece about Holding Harley and Who I'm Not. We looked at an example of the provincial exam synthesis section. Next, we looked at some sample synthesis pieces and used them to begin constructing a list of the criteria for what makes a quality synthesis piece.

Tuesday

We began looking at the micro-fiction presentations today. I was very impressed by what I viewed today. Always nice to see them in a different format to typed words on a piece of paper: they really come alive with your voice and your image selections. Looking forward to seeing more in the coming classes.

Monday

We did an edit practice based on some errors I found in the novel autographs. The quiz on these types of errors will be Wednesday of this week. Don't forget the micro-stories and presentation are due tomorrow. We spent a few minutes in groups looking at similarities and differences between the two short stories: Holding Harley and Who I'm Not.

No comments:

Post a Comment